The power and the glory

The long-lived beautiful matriarch of a very grand Manila family — Josephine Murphy de Cojuangco, also known as “Dona Nene” — passed away at 98 years old early last week at 5:00 a.m..  By 8:00 a.m., word had been discreetly sent out to relatives and close friends as well as to the people of the legendary Cojuangco family seat in Paniqui, Tarlac.  The old people in Paniqui — various lifelong retainers and other employees — bowed their heads in mourning and remembrance, saying:  “Wala na ang Dona Nene, wala na ang kahuli-huliang manugang ng Dona Sidra.”  [ “Dona Nene is no more, gone is the last surviving niece-in-law of Dona Sidra.” ]

By dusk, all of affluent Manila already knew about her passing and they promptly prepared themselves to offer condolences to the very prominent family — one of the last, great, and powerful of the venerable old Filipino business and political dynasties.

Because of Dona Nene’s wishes for a very simple, quiet, and quick funeral, as well as the Cojuangco family’s desire for privacy, it took a few days before formal death notices for the Filipino public — whole page ones — appeared in the major newspapers, with the assent of the eldest son, Eduardo Murphy Cojuangco Jr. also known as “Danding,” one of the Philippines’ most powerful men.

The beautiful matriarch had been a formidable force in the family.  Born to an American-Irish-Canadian father and an Ilocano mother, Josephine “Nene” Murphy y Beley grew up in Baguio.  She was courted by the young Eduardo “Endeng” Cojuangco y Chichioco, the gentleman farmer scion of a very rich Chinese-Filipino “hacendero” family from Paniqui, Tarlac but her father objected.  They forthwith eloped.  The happy marriage was blessed with six children [ three boys and three girls ] but ended early with her husband’s unnecessary and untimely demise in his early 40s in 1952.  She and her children were consequently sidelined in the vast business affairs of her husband’s family by the elder, more assertive members.  Being a highly-disciplined person, she mustered all her resources and efficiently managed her husband’s businesses.  She raised her children well with an iron will.  Two decades later, the family fortunes turned for the better and her favorite eldest son “Danding” gradually became one of the country’s most powerful men.

She was laid in state in the biggest mortuary chapel of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Mount Carmel along Broadway Avenue in New Manila, a church of which she was a major benefactress from its earliest years to the present.  Her last gifts were the new stained glass windows of the church.

Inside the mortuary chapel, the elegant casket was closed.  According to her daughters, Dona Nene was arrayed in an elegant long dress by couturier Roy Gonzales of R. T. Paras;  she clasped a rosary from Rome blessed during the 03 June 2007 Canonization of Saint Marie-Eugenie de Jesus [ Anne-Eugenie Milleret de Brou ], foundress of the Religious of the Assumption, given by Mikey and Lizette Cojuangco [ son of her nephew Ramon Uychuico Cojuangco and Imelda de la Paz Ongsiako ].  On top of it was an exquisite round arrangement by Margarita Araneta Fores’ “Fiori d M” of several hundred white cattleya orchids flown in from the Eduardo Cojuangcos’ “Hacienda Balbina” in Pontevedra, Negros Occidental [ the gardeners had been instructed by Gretchen Oppen-Cojuangco to pick every single cattleya bloom in the plantation for her mother-in-law’s wreath ];  many of the white cattleyas were of the “Dona Josephine Cojuangco” variety registered internationally.  Below the casket was an elegant mass of several hundred white “Casablanca” lilies.  Beside the casket was a luminous, recent oil portrait of the very beautiful Dona Nene by the discreet Spanish mestizo artist Rafael del Casal [ a favorite of genuine Manila high society ], as she looked prewar.  There was also a small, draped table with small framed photographs showing Nene with her husband Endeng and their children.

Before the closed casket was transferred from the mortuary chapel to the church for the funeral mass, heiress-restaurateur-florist Margarita “Gaita” Araneta Fores — whose maternal grandmother Ester Araneta de Araneta was a great friend of Dona Nene’s; the two were part of a group of patrician ladies [ Pacita “Nitang” Moreno de Lopez, Aida Lopez Laguda-Sotto, Amparo Lopez-Pineda, Lolit de la Rama-Lopez, the Tanjangco sisters, et. al.;  now all gone ] who liked to play the traditional, old-fashioned card game of “panguingue” — herself directed the arrangement of the bier in front of the main altar, imparting her famous exquisite taste to the final ceremonies of her grandmother’s great friend.  The last time Dona Nene and her great friend Dona Ester saw each other was at the ladies’ room of a restaurant where both families were having lunch.  Not long after, Dona Ester passed away but Dona Nene was not informed so she would not be saddened.  Dona Nene always wanted to visit Dona Ester, but excuses were always made by family members to prevent her doing so, until she herself passed away.

Aware of the maxim that “too many cooks spoil the broth,”  that there would probably be too many members of the family “calling the shots,”  Danding Cojuangco unilaterally decided that his niece, Dr. Isa Cojuangco Suntay-Dister, would be the COO chief operating officer of Dona Nene’s last rites.  After all, being the only doctor in the family, she had taken good care of her Lola Nene throughout the years…

Just hours before the funeral mass [ the day before the actual funeral ], Dr. Isa flew the ECJ helicopter to faraway Paniqui, Tarlac to oversee the preparations there.  Paniqui Mayor Dors Cojuangco Rivilla was on top of the situation.  His mother, Lourdes “Lulu” Uychuico Cojuangco-Rivilla [ daughter of Antonio Cojuangco and Victoria Uychuico, Nene’s in-laws ] had already arrived from Manila to assist him with further preparations.

The congregation during the funeral mass represented the very best of Filipino families, not only in terms of sheer wealth and influence, but also in terms of high education, moral uprightness, cosmopolitan personal style, and surprisingly enough, good looks.  There were beautiful women and handsome men all over.

The eulogy delivered by her eldest son, Ambassador Eduardo “Danding” Murphy Cojuangco Jr. was the loving tribute of a powerful — almost omnipotent — man to his revered mother:  “My only fear is that what I will say may not be able to do her justice.”

“I carry my father’s name but everything else I am, I owe to my mother…”

After the funeral mass, there was an elegant dinner catered by Margarita Fores.  Then the family and their friends took leave of each other to rest a few hours in preparation for the 5:00 a.m. departure for the ancestral domain of the Cojuangcos in Paniqui, Tarlac.

The early 5:00 a.m. departure from Mount Carmel church for Paniqui, Tarlac was the thoughtful decision of “Danding” so his mother’s funeral cortege would not cause traffic in the city, the NLEX North Luzon Expressway, and the MacArthur highway.  So determined was Danding to leave the Mount Carmel Church at exactly 5:00 a.m. that he had left his wife Gretchen behind, still preparing herself, at their Balete Drive residence — “I will not have my mother wait for anyone.”  Gretchen finally caught up with the rest of the family at the Santa Rosa de Lima Church in Paniqui, Tarlac.

Meanwhile, in Paniqui town in Tarlac, trucks had been delivering cement and asphalt 24 / 7 as the main roads were hurriedly repaired.  The torrential rains had caused the first two layers of cement to be washed over and third layers had to be applied.  The old Santa Rosa de Lima Church had been repainted and new lights were installed 24 / 7 in time for the funeral mass of the town’s beloved “Dona Nene.”

As planned, the funeral cortege of 50 cars proceeded smoothly from Manila because of the early hour.  All the toll fees of the many cars that composed the cortege had been settled in advance.  When they reached the first town of Bamban, Tarlac, they were met by escorts as the cortege, which had increased to 150 cars and grew longer with every municipality it passed, proceeded to Paniqui town.

The rains were so heavy in Tarlac that the six siblings thought of postponing the funeral of their mother.

The funeral mass was scheduled for 10:00 a.m. at the Santa Rosa de Lima church.

“Meldy [ Imelda Ongsiako-Cojuangco ], Monching’s wife, wanted to come all the way from Manila for the funeral.  But we told her that she didn’t have to because of her delicate health;  we understood her situation.  After all, she’s a walking time bomb with two aneurysms.  If either or both of those explode… !!!  Meldy kindly sent her children in her stead.”

“It was so nice to have representatives of the other two surviving branches of the [ Cojuangco ] family present at the funeral mass:  Tio Pepe’s, Tio Antonio’s, and ours.  Peping had just come from a trip abroad and had rushed to Paniqui with Tingting and his two daughters for the funeral mass.  Lulu’s family was there, Monching’s too.  And of course, all of us, including our children and grandchildren, were there for Mama.”

At the church, Ambassador Eduardo “Danding” Cojuangco Jr. delivered another stirring eulogy in amazingly fluent, flawless Kapampangan and Ilokano, the dialects spoken by generations of the Cojuangco family.

“Dona Nene” was interred alongside her husband, Eduardo “Endeng” Cojuangco y Chichioco, at the legendary Cojuangco “ermita” chapel / mausoleum in Sitio Caniogan, Barangay Matalapitap, the very “barrio” where, more than a hundred years ago, the pioneering patriarch Ingkong Jose and his children Ysidra, Melecio, and Trinidad Cojuangco y Estrella slowly settled after their transfer from Barasoain, Malolos, Bulacan.  For years after Eduardo’s death, his faithful widow “Nene” ordered holy mass at the “ermita” every 13th of the month which she, usually accompanied by her youngest daughter Isabel, would travel the long distance from Manila to attend.

After the interment, the family hosted a luncheon for everyone who had condoled with them.  Manila’s longtime premiere caterer “Via Mare” catered lunch for 1,500 guests.  The popular “Red Ribbon” bakeshop catered the subsequent “merienda.”  Lunch was also served to 1,000 mourners gathered outside the restricted premises.  Packed lunches were also distributed to some 8,000 sympathizers.  Paniquenos ventured that, had it not rained torrentially, some 40,000 Tarlaquenos had planned to attend the funeral of their beloved Dona Nene Cojuangco.

Like his five siblings Manuel “Manoling,” Henry, Mercedes “Ditas,” Aurora “Rory,” and Isabel, Ambassador Eduardo “Danding” Cojuangco Jr. tirelessly attended to the very many friends of the family present during the final rites for their well-loved mother “Dona Nene”:  “Pasensya na po kayo sa kaunting nakayanan ng aming pamilya…”

It was a loving farewell with such dignity and grace, tempered by patrician understatement.  One instinctively knew that it had taken decades of affluence and education to achieve that kind of discernment and distinction.





  1. September 24, 2008 at 1:13 am

    I LOVE your blog so much. I’ve told my friends about it and I would LOVE to add it to my list. Wow, I can read it forever. SOOOOO much information.
    Great blog!

  2. santA santitA said,

    August 14, 2008 at 11:14 pm


    more please.

  3. August 9, 2008 at 11:02 am

    Condolences to Boss Danding.

  4. don paeng said,

    August 7, 2008 at 3:52 pm

    moral uprightness + danding?

  5. August 6, 2008 at 3:10 pm


    Yes, the Cojuangco-Murphy ladies are proud Scholasticans.

    Toto Gonzalez

  6. Ipe Nazareno said,

    August 6, 2008 at 2:51 pm

    I just came across the St. Scholastica’s Graduation Picture of a young Josephine Murphy. Check out:

  7. Ipe Nazareno said,

    August 6, 2008 at 2:35 pm

    CSC-A didn’t go but she was represented by her children.

    JSC-R is no longer managing FEU. If I remember correctly, the Reyes-Cojuangcos and the Montinola-Reyeses had some sort of feud which the Montinolas won. I believe the Montinola-Reyeses are the ones managing FEU now ( with Lourdes — daughter of FEU Founder Nicanor Reyes, as Chairman ).

    Nope, TBC didn’t bring GB when he paid his respects.

  8. Liding said,

    August 6, 2008 at 12:26 pm

    jm-c was the last surviving direct aunt of csc-a…

    Did gb attend?

  9. Liding said,

    August 6, 2008 at 1:04 am

    did csc-a go to the wake of jm-c? and how is her older sister named jsc-r? is she still managing feu?

  10. Pacita Por Favor said,

    August 5, 2008 at 12:43 am


    I transferred your interesting comment to the post “Sarrat, Ilocos Norte, 1983” where it belongs.

    Thank you!!!

    Toto Gonzalez

  11. Ipe Nazareno said,

    August 4, 2008 at 1:27 pm

    Josephine “Lola Nene” Murphy-Cojuangco.

  12. Alicia Perez said,

    August 3, 2008 at 6:02 am

    Ermita in sadness and in joy
    A COMMITMENT By Tingting Cojuangco (The Philippine Star) Updated August 03, 2008 12:00 AM Comments (0) View comments

    The passing away of Josephine Murphy-Cojuangco marks the end of an era. It forces us to look back to a time when families were smaller and closer. All too soon, the leaves flew away and the families dispersed to their own father’s clans. Doña Nene as Paniqui residents call her, was the last of the female Cojuangcos of the third generation and wife of Eduardo Sr.

    Tia Nene was a beautiful woman of American and Ilocano heritage whose father owned the Alhambra Theater on Session Road. Eduardo, youngest brother of my father-in-law Jose, fell in love with Josephine, an only daughter. Where did these men who chose beautiful and hardworking women originate? What were their lives like? Marisse Cojuangco-Reyes, author of The Sands of Time, a Cojuangco family biography, explains the origins as we look back to the passing of time.

    Heng Chi, 16th-generation Xu, and his eldest son Chang Zen, subsequently known as Juan Co, may have arrived in Manila in the late 18th century during the reign of Quianlong.Martin Co was the most plausible direct ancestor who first traveled from Xiamen in China to Manila. Then the braided Intsik Jose, also known as El Chino, artisan-turned-landowner, gave his wife a wooden yoyo he made himself. He could have been the boy who arrived in the mid-1800s with his father, according to the pedigree recorded by the Co Family Association. The chapel-mausoleum of the Cojuangco family they call the “Ermita” in Paniqui, Tarlac, simply listed Inkong Jose’s baptismal date as his birthday.

    El Chino Jose’s friendship with a Dominican priest may have put him in touch with friars responsible for bringing Chinese carpenters and artisans to Malolos, Bulacan and Gapan, Nueva Ecija. There, he also met his future wife, Antera Estrella, and they were married in a canonical ceremony in Malolos, Bulacan. Their marriage bore three children: Melecio and the spinsters Ysidra, who signed her name simply as YC, and Trinidad.

    Melecio married Tecla Chichioco-Cojuangco, who was shrewd and bartered Hagonoy products in 1870 such as salt and bagoong in Central Luzon, returning to Malolos with squash, eggplant and ampalaya or bitter melon. As Ingkong Jose’s trade in rice prospered, he began to acquire farmland and lent money. By 1896, the elder Cojuangcos had established a residence in Paniqui, Tarlac.

    El Chino’s eldest child, Ysidra, had a thriving rice mill and warehouse in Paniqui, while her sister-in-law Tecla Chichioco flourished with her sari-sari store next to the railroad station in Estacion.

    On March 13, 1909, Melecio spent the summer in Tarlac and returned by train with two of his four boys, Jose and Juan.

    Marisse’s story reads:

    “When Lolo Melecio boarded the train, the first-class seats that he had bought for his children were being contested by two American soldiers. One of the soldiers moved forward as if to force the boys off their seats. Don Melecio grabbed his arm. The American knew better than to lay a hand on a Cojuangco but remarked that Filipinos were monkeys. By the time the train arrived in Malolos, Bulacan, the Assemblyman from Tarlac had died from a heart attack minutes after the Tutuban incident. The two boys, six and eight, returned to Paniqui and for two days Tecla cried her heart out.”

    But life went on…

    The Paniqui Sugar Mills was a thriving business when Tecla Chichioco Cojuangco died in Hacienda Bakal, Nueva Ecija. She was buried beside her husband, Melecio, in the “Ermita.” At Tecla’s death, Ysidra became the administrator of her sister-in-law’s estates, which were inherited by Tecla’s sons and multiplied their properties. And a love story ensued…

    One day, the family lawyer, Judge Juan Sumulong, hired Jose Cojuangco as his assistant in the Sumulong, Lavides and Mabanag law office. Demetria was assigned to clean up after office hours.

    Marisse’s grandfather patiently courted his future bride with love letters hidden in drawers. Demetria retrieved them and wrote her own. Jose’s third brother Antonio eloped with a Chinese mestiza, Victoria Uychuico of Tarlac, in 1923.

    At that time, an elopement was the worst possible offense one could commit against parents. Antonio had just graduated with a degree in medicine. Given the ire of his mother over his marriage, he accepted a job as a government health inspector in Leyte. The four brothers had always been close. With the birth of a son, Ramon “Monching” Cojuangco, a telegram was sent to Antonio and Victoria asking them to return to Paniqui.

    At the young age of 28, Jose quit his Sumulong job to be involved in his community duties as a municipal councilor and run Paniqui Sugar Mills and was married with the approval of the whole family. Demetria, Peping’s mother assisted her mother-in-law not only in Hacienda Bakal but attended to the fishponds and salt fields in Hagonoy, Bulacan.

    Another elopement occurred, Juan (nicknamed Itoy) and his childhood sweetheart, Elena Garcia. Ingkong had been against the marriage because Elena was the daughter of Don Gregorio Garcia, a Spanish mestizo who owned a competitive rice mill. Unfortunately, Elena and Juan had no children that would bring the two families together, even after 12 years of marriage in 1936. A daughter was born but she died soon. She was buried in the Ermita, the Cojuangco family chapel-mausoleum.

    “My grandfather’s youngest brother Eduardo Cojuangco, Sr. followed in the tradition of his two older brothers by eloping.” The young Endeng, later described by his daughter Rory C. Lagdameo as “physically fit, with big arms, fond of horses, and always smiling,” met Josephine “Nene” Murphy, a former Miss Baguio. Nene’s father, an American, had wanted her to marry an American as well. But her mother sided with her daughter and helped the young couple elope. They were married in the Ermita chapel on May 22, 1934, with their Tia Sidra and Agustin del Valle, mayor of Paniqui, as sponsors.”

    She will be buried where she got married, and will be laid to rest beside her husband Eduardo Sr. in Ermita.

    Eduardo Cojuangco Sr. started his own logging concession in Laguna, which was the beginning of Interwood. They had a beautiful huge home with two grand pianos in Santa Ana by the Pasig River near the plywood factory.

    The Japanese entered Eduardo’s house in Santa Ana. One day Lola Ysidra chased the Japanese away with her broom, “Lumayas kayo rito.”

    During the war, Eduardo and Juan convinced Antonio to go with them to Baguio: the Japanese would not retreat to the mountains. But at the last minute, Antonio Jr. fell ill with typhoid fever. Antonio took refuge with his family in La Salle and the La Salle Brothers suspected to be attached to the guerilla movement. They did not realize that the college was being closely watched by the Japanese. Ramon survived but his wife and family were massacred.

    Meanwhile, Ysidra, her nephews Eduardo and Juan with Josephine and Elena had reached Baguio. There were two grandmothers, Ysidra and Inang, Josephine Murphy Cojuangco’s mother and Ysidra’s loyal stock of helpers who had gone with them. Eduardo had to sneak out in the middle of the night, when there were no air raids, dodging Japanese sentries to dig for water in Burnham Park, protected only by Ysidra’s prayers. The murky water was constantly boiled, but still Isabel Cojuangco, Eduardo’s youngest daughter, got very sick and was cured by a kind Japanese doctor.

    Then one day Japanese soldiers suddenly appeared and they overturned pews and ransacked the confessionals of the cathedral where they hid. The Murphys were originally from Baguio, and local Igorots guided them along the narrow path to the Gold River.

    In 1952, Eduardo died at the age of 49. Jose and Juan, who had seen their father die on that train many years past, were now left behind again.

    Josephine Cojuangco Reyes told Marisse, “I have no idea of the extent of Lola Sidra’s wealth. I remember the fourth-generation Cojuangcos, the six children of Jose, two of Antonio, six of Eduardo, all eight females wearing black mourning clothes, signing 3,000 pages of documents. Yet all land was lost under Marcos’s land reform and Cory’s agrarian reform program.”

    From Marisse’s Sands of Time: “Jose her grandfather made one last effort for Cory in his 80s. He requested an audience with then Minister of Defense Juan Ponce Enrile, through his nephew Danding Cojuangco. My grandfather gently explained the situation to Enrile: he told him how Ninoy was now in the intensive care unit of the Veterans Memorial Hospital. Cory was allowed to stay with her husband, sleeping on a chair by his bedside. It was uncle Danding who finally said, ‘Tio Pepe, huwag kayong umiyak.’”

    If there’s anything that brings the Cojuangcos together, it’s weddings and deaths. Another generation has gone by with Tia Nene gone, but she has brought all the juniors together at Ermita in Paniqui — Eduardo, Jose, Antonio — as one Cojuangco family.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: